With the increased quest for postgraduate education by Nigerians, getting admitted for a Masters or PhD in a Nigeria university is now becoming a task. Gone are the days when graduates had a secured job placement immediately after school. Getting a masters degree in now a ‘normal thing’ right after NYSC, and there are those who never stopped their education till they obtained their PhD
Doing your masters within record time in a Nigerian university could be another issue altogether, as many postgraduate students are frustrated in their postgraduate programme. This would help you decide which Nigerian University has the fastest postgraduate [especially masters] programme. You can add your suggestions.
- The Private Universities. There are over 20 private universities in Nigeria, but the more significant ones in terms of quality include Covenant University, Babcock university, Madonna, African University of Science and Technology, Lead City, Ajayi Crowther and a few others. This universities, all privately owned offer the shortest time to obtained your masters degree. In a private Nigerian University, you should obtain your masters degree in about 10 months. Generally, they begin their session in September and end in June.
- University of Ilorin. University of Ilorin has made a name for itself as the only federal university in Nigeria whose academic calender has not been broken/altered in over 7years. This has made the school a go-to place for postgraduate studies in Nigeria. Getting admitted for a masters in UNILORIN is very competitive, because of its reputation. Depending on other factors like you thesis supervisor e.t.c, you should obtain you masters degree from UNILORIN in about a year.
- University of Lagos. It is one of the most expensive federal universities to do your masters, but if you work hard, favoured by your thesis supervisor and choose a modest research topic, you should be through in about 14 months. While there are many variables that could extend it for longer, you would not be frustrated by your masters degree programme, except your are just so unlucky.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka. UNN is generally overlooked as a place for postgraduate studies because the school is not located in a city. UNN is one of the fastest place to obtain your masters. Infact, in engineering and sciences, you can obtain your masters degree in less than a year. It is usually tougher in the faculty of education, where you will have to make many presentations and seminars plus challenging thesis proposal. For a hard working student, with other positive variables in place, you should be through with your masters in 18 months.
- University of Ibadan. Ibadan has become an Harvard of some sort to many prospective postgraduate students. Getting admitted for a masters in Ibadan could be very tough, but the programme is not so herculean. Once you scale through the course work, you are expected to present your thesis within 6 months. Plus or minus, you should be through in 18 – 21 months.
Please follow and like us: