The University of Pretoria, South Africa is calling for applications for its 2019 Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship.
Deadline: 17th September, 2018
The University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship will be awarded to applicants who are citizens of Commonwealth countries.
- Applicants must conduct their studies at the University of Pretoria to commence in 2019.
- Applicants must have completed the degree that will give them admission to a doctoral programme no more than three years prior to their application for the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship.
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at the time of application.
- PhD and Masters students currently registered at the University of Pretoria are not eligible for the Doctoral Scholarship.
Value of Doctoral Scholarship
The value of this Doctoral Scholarship will be R160 000 p.a.
This amount must be used to cover the following student costs:
- Accommodation and living costs
- Fees p.a.
- Medical Aid
Research costs will be covered by the Supervisor
Additional costs covered by the University:
- Flight ticket to RSA from home country on proof of study permit.
- Return flight ticket to home country at the end of the programme as confirmed by the faculty.
- Shuttle service on arrival in South Africa from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria and return from Pretoria to OR Tambo on completion.
- UP application fee and Visa costs which will be refunded on proof of receipts on arrival.
Period of support
The scholarship funding will be for a maximum period of support of three academic years. Awardee to complete the Doctoral studies within the minimum required period of three academic years.
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, candidates must submit the following documentation to the University of Pretoria;
- Application form for the UP PhD Commonwealth Scholarship Attached to the application form the following:
- The UP Online application Ref “T” number or 2019 student number (if available)
- A written motivation from the prospective Doctoral supervisor that applicant will be supervised by them and research is funding available.
- An outline (one A4 page), of the proposed research work.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – no more than 3 pages
- Proof that study leave will be granted if the scholarship is awarded. (if applicable)
- Copy of passport
- Full academic transcripts of all qualifications obtained. (not certificates) Above documents to be sent as a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject Heading : UP Commonwealth
- 2 copies of completed reference forms from two different academics/supervisors who have current knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance. (Reference form attached) Note: Referees form to be sent directly to email@example.com Support for the subsequent years will be subject to:
5. Terms and Conditions
- Submission of a progress report three months before the end of the each year of study.
- Confirmation by the supervisor that the scholar’s progress is satisfactory supported by the Head of Academic Department in which the student is registered
- On completion of the degree the candidate will be expected to return to there home country.
- Award of this scholarship will be based on:
6. Selection Criteria
- Academic performance.
- Potential to undertake advanced research activities.
- Leadership qualities.
- Evidence of research accomplishment at the masters’ level by means of publications or other appropriate products of the work undertaken.
- Prizes and honours received. A selection process will be conducted by the University’s Institutional Selection Committee. The University reserves the right to amend without prior notice, the regulations and scholarship values and/or conditions applicable to the awarding of this bursary.
The successful applicant will be sent an official award letter via e-mail. Applicants, who have not received written notification within ten weeks of the closing date must consider themselves unsuccessful.
For more information, visit www.up.ac.za