Call for Applications to 2018 Iso Lomso Fellowship
Iso Lomso Fellowship provide an exceptional early career opportunity for Africa’s brightest minds in academia. Iso Lomso aims to address the gap that exists between completion of the Ph.D. and becoming an established scholar in Africa. While there is increasing support for doctoral study and for post-doctoral fellowships, it is during the extended post-doctoral period that the greatest loss of talent occurs.
Iso Lomso fellowship provide a three-year attachment to STIAS to enable fellows to develop and conduct a long-term research programme of their preference. The aim is to facilitate and support them towards becoming established scholars in their fields.
The main means of support is STIAS residencies. Residential periods will be agreed mutually between the fellow, his or her home institution and STIAS , and may vary between six weeks and five months per residency. A first period of residency will typically be of longer duration
to be taken up during 2019/2020, followed by two further residencies through mid-2022.
Eligibility and selection for Iso Lomso Fellowship
To be eligible applicants must:
• be a national of any African country;
• be born after the 1st of January 1977;
• have an affiliation at a research or higher education institution in an African country, and continue to do so for the foreseeable future;
• have obtained a doctoral degree from any recognised higher education institution (worldwide) after the 1st of January 2012;
• have completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD research programme;
• be in a position to commence a first period of residency at STIAS during the second half of 2019 or the first half of 2020.
Benefits for Iso Lomso Fellows
• an economy return flight;
• comfortable accommodation within walking distance from the institute;
• individual offices equipped with a PC, telephone and printer;
• a monthly stipend for daily living costs;
• access to the Stellenbosch University library (including electronic resources) and a high-speed internet connection;
• participation in the regular STIAS fellows programme, including daily lunch, weekly fellows’ seminars, STIAS public lectures and social events;
• a child care subsidy for fellows accompanied by young children while in residence.
Application and Submission
To apply, eligible candidates need to complete the Iso Lomso 2018 Application Form which can be downloaded at stias.ac.za/iso-lomso
The completed application form should be signed, dated and submitted together with the following documents, all in PDF format:
1. Motivation Letter
2. Pre proposal. 2-3 pages essay
3. One or two recent articles
4. Copy of the applicant’s Doctoral certificate.
5. A letter of support from the applicant’s home institution (either from the head of department, dean of faculty, principal of college, or equivalent).
6. Two letters of recommendation from scholars who are familiar with the applicant’s work,
Applications may be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com by the end
of Saturday, 20 October 2018 (Central AfricanTime).
20 October 2018
FOR MORE INFORMATION