Master of Art (M.A) in English Language
English language is one of the mostly widely spoken languages in the world. It is spoken in the United States, Canada, Great Britain and in the common wealth nations. In Nigeria, English language is the lingua franca.
A Master in English is a postgraduate degree offered in the Faculty of art, in
A Master of Arts degree in English Language offers the benefit of a career in academics. To be a lecturer, teaching English language, either in the university, polytechnic or college of education, a Masters degree in English is a must have. Graduates of a Master in English are also found useful in media organizations, publishing houses, embassies or places where interpretation is needed. Versatile graduates can function effectively as speech writers for politicians and public servants.
Specializations of Master in English Language
- English language: English as a language has its style and system in writing, speaking, pronunciation and listening. A M.A English would study the syntax, semantics, phonology and English as a second language with many others subjects
- Literature in English: Poetry, prose and drama of different people and culture are studied. A graduate should be able to conduct a literary critic of any work of literature.
- African oral literature:
Nigerian universities offering Master in English Language
- University of Benin: https://arts.uniben.edu/index.php/english-and-literature/
- University of Ilorin: https://www.unilorin.edu.ng/index.php/373-faculties/arts/5724-department-of-english
- University of Jos: https://www.unijos.edu.ng/arts/english
- University of Lagos: https://unilag.edu.ng/tag/english/
- University of Calabar
- Ahmadu Bello University: https://english.abu.edu.ng/
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka: www.unn.edu.ng/academics/faculties/arts/english-and-literary-studies
Popular Nigerian Graduates of English
- Prof. Wole Soyinka: Nigeria’s only Nobel Laureate and foremost writer. He studied at Leeds University, where he graduated with honours degree in English. At various times, he was an academic staff of the Universities of Lagos, Ibadan, and at Ife, where he was professor of comparative literature and dramatic arts. He won the Nobel prize for literature in 1986. Few of his popular works are The Lion and the Jewel, Trial of brother Jero.
- Rotimi Ameachi: He is the former governor of River state. He graduated from the university of University of Port Harcourt in 1987 with a Bachelor of Arts degree (Honours) in English Studies and Literature.
- Stephanie Okereke Linus: Nollywood actress, film director and model studied English and Literary studies at the University of Calabar
Drop your question in the comment box