Update: the online portal for postgraduate registration is currently offline, it should be back online next week.
The much awaited postgraduate admission list for the 2014/15 academic session has been released. Almost two thousand students were admitted for Masters, Postgraduate diplomas, and Ph.D programmes in various department spread across the university. The full admission list is available here.
- Admitted students are expected to proceed to pay an acceptance fee of 25,000 naira in banks on the e-tranzact platform.
- Visit the UNN portal on www.unnportal.com.
- Use your application number and the word ‘pgshool’ as password on the new student space.
- Generate an invoice.
- Take the invoice to bank and use it for payment.
Congratulation to all admitted applicants.
Drop your questions concerning the admission process at UNN in the comments box to receive answers.
With the increased quest for postgraduate education by Nigerians, getting admitted for a Masters or PhD in a Nigeria university is now becoming a task. Gone are the days when graduates had a secured job placement immediately after school. Getting a masters degree in now a ‘normal thing’ right after NYSC, and there are those who never stopped their education till they obtained their PhD
Doing your masters within record time in a Nigerian university could be another issue altogether, as many postgraduate students are frustrated in their postgraduate programme. This would help you decide which Nigerian University has the fastest postgraduate [especially masters] programme. You can add your suggestions.
- The Private Universities. There are over 20 private universities in Nigeria, but the more significant ones in terms of quality include Covenant University, Babcock university, Madonna, African University of Science and Technology, Lead City, Ajayi Crowther and a few others. This universities, all privately owned offer the shortest time to obtained your masters degree. In a private Nigerian University, you should obtain your masters degree in about 10 months. Generally, they begin their session in September and end in June.
- University of Ilorin. University of Ilorin has made a name for itself as the only federal university in Nigeria whose academic calender has not been broken/altered in over 7years. This has made the school a go-to place for postgraduate studies in Nigeria. Getting admitted for a masters in UNILORIN is very competitive, because of its reputation. Depending on other factors like you thesis supervisor e.t.c, you should obtain you masters degree from UNILORIN in about a year.
- University of Lagos. It is one of the most expensive federal universities to do your masters, but if you work hard, favoured by your thesis supervisor and choose a modest research topic, you should be through in about 14 months. While there are many variables that could extend it for longer, you would not be frustrated by your masters degree programme, except your are just so unlucky.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka. UNN is generally overlooked as a place for postgraduate studies because the school is not located in a city. UNN is one of the fastest place to obtain your masters. Infact, in engineering and sciences, you can obtain your masters degree in less than a year. It is usually tougher in the faculty of education, where you will have to make many presentations and seminars plus challenging thesis proposal. For a hard working student, with other positive variables in place, you should be through with your masters in 18 months.
- University of Ibadan. Ibadan has become an Harvard of some sort to many prospective postgraduate students. Getting admitted for a masters in Ibadan could be very tough, but the programme is not so herculean. Once you scale through the course work, you are expected to present your thesis within 6 months. Plus or minus, you should be through in 18 – 21 months.
2014/15 admission list is out click here
Information from the Postgraduate School at University of Nigeria, Nsukka, indicates that the admission list for 2014/15 postgraduate applicants would be released soon. Yours truly was at the PG School, where a staff told me to be expectant. The admission list of the undergraduates have already being released, and it is expected that the postgraduate admission would follow.
The result of the screening exams written in July had been released, and cut off mark is generally expected to be around 40%. Visit this blog regularly for information about the admission list and registration procedures.
The proficiency screening examination is a compulsory test that must be taken by all those applying for a Masters Degree at University of Ibadan. It is a technical, English Language based exams, and you postgraduate admission into UI depends on it, no matter you class of degree.
Drop your email in the comments box to receive the practice proficiency screening FREE OF CHARGE. This is our own way of helping you see your dreams come true. You can appreciate the effort of this blog and its author through whatever way you deem fit.
Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria, is advertising her 2014/15 postgraduate application forms into various postgraduate programmes on offer by the university. The postgraduate application forms cost =N=10,000.00 (Ten Thousand Naira) only. However, the banks will also charge a token administrative fee in addition to the cost of application forms.
-Begin the application by creating an account to obtain a unique Transaction ID which you will use to pay for the form.
-Proceed to designated banks to pay for the ABU postgraduate application fee.
-For further information about the application process, click here
-List of available postgraduate programmes ate ABU can be viewed here
-Closing date for the application is on January 4th, 2015
-For more information visit http://portal.abu.edu.ng/pgform/ or send a mail to
+234 (0) 8026600710
+234 (0) 7067430539
+234 (0) 7067430531
+234 (0) 7067430512
Nnamdi Azikwe University (or UNIZIK), Akwa is presently advertising her 2014/15 postgraduate forms. The school is inviting suitably qualified candidates for admission in various postgraduate programmes- (PGD, Masters, PhD) The postgraduate forms into UNIZIK cost 10,000 naira. For details about the postgraduate courses on offer, visit here.
MINIMUM GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
Candidates for all Postgraduate programmes must have a minimum of 5 credits including English Language and any four relevant subjects at one or two sittings in addition to other Departmental/Faculty and General University Requirements.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAMMES
Postgraduate Diploma Programme (PGD)
The full time Postgraduate Diploma programme lasts for a minimum of 12 continuous calendar months. Part time programme shall last for a minimum of 18 calendar months.
Masters Degree Programmes
The Masters Degree programmes last for a minimum of three (3) semesters for full-time. Part-Time programme shall last for a minimum
of five (5) semesters.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Programme
Full-Time candidates with Masters’ degree will be required to spend a minimum of six (6) semesters while Part-Time candidates will be required to spend a minimum of eight (cool semesters.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application form should be completed on-line by login onto my.unizik.edu.ng/postgraduate on payment of N10, 000.00 (Ten thousand naira only) in any of the Banks within the University.
Candidates are advised to obtain information on Departmental requirements and areas of specialization from the website www.unizik.edu.ng/postgraduate
Print a copy of the completed Application Form
Download and print a copy of the transcript form. The form should be sent to the candidates’ institution for his/her academic transcripts.
Students are to ensure that the Transcript Form is attached to the Transcript. Failure to do so will result to non-processing of the Student’s Admission.
Married candidates should also indicate their maiden name in the transcript form.
Reverends/Priest should also indicate their title while filling the form and also in their transcript form
Download and print three copies of the referee report form for your referees to complete.
Ph.D. applicants are expected to write a proposal of not more than six hundred (600) words on their areas of interest and submit alongside with their application form.
Copy of the completed application form, referees’ reports and claimed certificates, including O’ level certificates, evidence of Change of name, birth certificate, teller and confirmation order from the bank of purchase should be submitted at the Admissions Unit, School of Postgraduate Studies, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, not later than two months from the date of this publication.
Transcripts should be forwarded not later than end of September, 2014.
Drop your questions on anything you need to know more.
Due to the trend of electoral malpractices in Nigeria, International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA); Electoral Integrity Project (EIP; Harvard University & University of Sydney) have decided to be co-sponsors of the ”INTERNATIONAL IDEA/ELECTORAL INTEGRITY PROJECT AWARD.
Papers are welcome from students enrolled in a graduate program (at Masters Level, Doctoral Level, or equivalent) at any time from 1 January to 31 December 2014 at an accredited university,
regardless of gender, age, nationality, race, ethnicity, or citizenship. The award will be presented to the author (or authors) of an outstanding graduate student essay written in English based on the paper’s significant contribution to the theory and practice of electoral integrity.
The theme for this year’s essay competition is in line with a workshop on electoral integrity. titled “What Works? Strengthening Electoral Integrity”
A wide range of policies are available, including the following types of initiatives.
- Legal frameworks 7. Governance:
- Technologies: 8. Monitoring:
- Transparency: 9. Accountability:
- Campaigning: 10. Public reform campaigns:
- International pressures: 11. International standards:
- Evaluation methods:
Method: Essays can be based on any methods, including cross-national comparisons, case-studies, field and lab experiments, public and elite surveys, formal theory, content analysis, analysis of Big Data, and participant observation studies.
Applicants can be from any social science discipline.
A paper written in English should be between 25 to 50 double-spaced pages, inclusive of reference matter;
A cover page listing all the authors, contact details, title and a short 100 word abstract;
A curriculum vitae; and,
A photocopied document demonstrating your student affiliation during 2014.
Co-authored papers will be considered for the award, but only if all authors were graduate students during 2014. The winning paper will be selected by a three-person award committee.
Submissions must be received by 1 January 2015. The award recipient will be notified by 1 March 2015.
Award details: The author (or authors) of the winning paper will receive an award of $750 and a further award (up to US$1,000) for the costs of attending the award ceremony at an international meeting. The 2015 award will be presented at the American Political Science Association annual meeting in San Francisco, CA, 2 September 2015. The award recipient will also have the opportunity
to present their paper at a relevant policy-makers conference (to be determined in consultation with International IDEA).
Application submission: Please submit applications by email toelectoralintegrityessay@gmail .com